Chinese Rescue Diver to Receive IMO Exceptional Bravery At Sea Award.

Bravery-award-2018_inside-pic-800x525

A Chinese rescue diver who led a series of dives to help rescue six crew members from a sunken cargo ship will receive the 2018 IMO Award for Exceptional Bravery At Sea, the International Maritime Organization has announced.

The rescue started 27 November 2017 when the bulk carrier M/V Jin Ze Lun collided with another ship in Guangzhou Port, China, causing the bulk carrier to sink in the main channel to the port. Of the 14 crew on board, two were immediately rescued but 12 remained missing.

The award recipient, Mr. Zhong Haifeng, was a senior diver and deputy of the Engineering Team at Guangzhou Salvage and put in charge of the desperate search for survivors.

Facing strong currents, Haifeng organized a series dives resulting in the discovery of six missing crew members trapped inside an air pocket of a cabin. After their discovery, the team worked to replenish oxygen and talk to the trapped survivors to calm them. Haifeng even dove down to deliver scuba diving equipment for those trapped.

The following day, Haifeng made six dives to help teach survivors how to use the scuba gear before helping them to the surface. He is personally credited with rescuing three of the crew members over the course of just one hour.

Mr. Haifeng was nominated for the award by China.

A Panel of Judges agreed that Mr. Haifeng demonstrated “truly exceptional bravery and human spirit” during the rescue “by personally exerting tireless efforts under highly dangerous circumstances,” making it deserving of the IMO’s highest award for bravery at sea.The decision was endorsed by the IMO Council last week at its 120th session in London.

Of a total of 22 qualifying nominations for this year’s award, another three will receive Certificates of Commendation and eight will receive Letters of Commendation.

The awards will be presented during an IMO Awards ceremony to be held on 6 December 2018 at IMO Headquarters in London.

 

by gCaptain

Advertisements

China Accuses U.S. of Firing First Shot in Trade War

blog

China accused the United States on Thursday of “opening fire” on the world with tariffs set to take effect on Friday, warning that it will respond the moment that duties on $34 billion in Chinese goods kick in.

U.S. President Donald Trump has threatened to further escalate the trade conflict between the world’s two largest economies with tariffs on as much as $450 billion worth of Chinese goods if China retaliates, as the initial round of tariffs take effect at 12:01 a.m. EDT (0401 GMT) on Friday.

There was no evidence of any last-minute negotiations between U.S. and Chinese officials, business sources in Washington and Beijing said.

The dispute has roiled financial markets including stocks, currencies and the global trade of commodities from soybeans to coal in recent weeks. U.S. stocks edged higher on Thursday, lifted by technology shares, amid hopes that American trade tensions with Europe may ease after German Chancellor Angela Merkel said she would back a reduction of European car tariffs if Washington abandons its threatened higher car levies.

China has said it will not “fire the first shot” in a trade war with the United States, but its customs agency made clear on Thursday that Chinese tariffs on American goods would take effect immediately after U.S. duties on Chinese goods are put in place.

Chinese Commerce Ministry spokesman Gao Feng said that the proposed U.S. tariffs would hit many American and foreign companies operating in China and disrupt their supplies of components and assembly work.

“U.S. measures are essentially attacking global supply and value chains. To put it simply, the U.S. is opening fire on the entire world, including itself,” Gao said.

“China will not bow down in the face of threats and blackmail and will not falter from its determination to defend free trade and the multilateral system,” Gao added.

A spokeswoman for the U.S. Trade Representative’s office said the agency had no immediate comment on the activation of its initial round of tariffs beyond a statement issued on June 15.

 

By Elias Glenn and David Lawder BEIJING/WASHINGTON, July 5 (Reuters)

India’s First US LNG Cargo Arrives on Board Meridian Spirit

 

Meridian_Spirit_Teekay

India has received its first LNG cargo from the United States, gas utility company GAIL said.

The Denmark-flagged Meridian Spirit carrying 120,000 tons of cargo docked at Dabhol on March 30, 2018. GAIL hired the ship in September 2017 to transport gas from the US.

The 165,500 cbm Meridian Spirit arrived after 25 days of voyage and docked for unloading.

Speaking on the occasion, Shri Dharmendra Pradhan, India’s Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas, said that the government was working towards making India a gas based economy. He added that the arrival of the first LNG cargo from the US was a significant milestone in the direction of realizing adequate availability of natural gas through imports from diversified sources.

GAIL is one of the early movers to contract US LNG and has 5.8 MMTPA of US LNG in its portfolio. GAIL shall be receiving around 90 cargoes per annum from Sabine Pass and Cove Point LNG terminals, according to the company.

The arrival of the LNG vessel coincides with the formation of Konkan LNG Private Limited, a subsidiary of GAIL.

The newly established company plans to invest INR 30 billion (around USD 461 million) in Dabhol LNG terminal in order to double the capacity of the facility to 10 million tons in the next three years, The Economic Times reported.

Source: World Maritime News